Features of StarkPower Lithium-ion Deep Cycle Batteries:
- Light weight, up to 80% less than a conventional, comparable energy storage lead-acid battery.
- Lasts 300-400% longer than lead-acid.
- Lower shelf discharge rate (2% vs. 5-8% /month).
- Drop-in replacement for your OEM battery.
- Expected 8-10 years of battery life.
- No explosive gasses during charging, no acid spills.
- Environmentally friendly, no lead or heavy metals.
- Safe to operate!
The term “Lithium-ion” battery is a general term. There are many different chemistries for Lithium-Ion batteries including LiCoO2 (cylindrical cell), LiPo, and LiFePO4 (cylindrical/prismatic cell). StarkPower mostly focuses on designing, manufacturing and marketing LiFePO4 batteries for its starter and deep cycle batteries.
- Substantially Lighter – Lithium-ion batteries are just a fraction of the weight of the original lead-acid battery.
- More Powerful – Lithium-ion batteries operate at a higher voltage than standard lead-acid batteries, giving you faster engine speed for longer durations. Lead-acid batteries drop to just 12.5V when only 20% of the battery capacity is used, but lithium-ion batteries provide over 12.8V even when only 20% of the battery capacity is left.
- Low Self-Discharge Rate– Lead-acid batteries lose 4%-25% of their charge every month depending on the quality of the plates and separators used. If you leave a vehicle unattended for a month, the lead-acid battery might lose too much power and the vehicle might not start. On the other hand, our lithium battery chemistry loses less than 3% of charge per month; you can go for several months without having to worry.
- Environmental Friendly– StarkPower batteries contain no toxic substances. There is no poisonous lead or corrosive sulfuric acid and as a result, no possible way for an explosive gassing event that is common with lead-acid batteries. In addition, there is no need to maintain acid levels or worry about venting like traditional lead-acid batteries do. The only maintenance that StarkPower batteries require is ensuring that the battery never drains beyond 80% to ensure optimal life.
- Long Lasting– Cheap lead-acid batteries usually only last 1 to 2 years while gel and AGM lead-acid batteries last 3-5 years with proper maintenance. However, StarkPower’s lithium-ion batteries can provide 8-10 years of use, easily exceeding the life of any lead-acid battery. Battery life depends purely on proper operation and maintenance, so use common-sense and ensure the battery does not drain beyond 80% discharge. If you are replacing a lead-acid battery in two years or less due to deep cycling damage, you will save money in the long run moving to a StarkPower lithium-ion
- Fast Recharging – StarkPower’s lithium-ion batteries can accept charge current at up to 5 times faster than a lead-acid battery. What’s more, the charge efficiency is about 75% for lead-acid in contrast to 97% for StarkPower’s lithium-ion battery. That means less energy is needed to charge and causes less strain on your alternator.
- Internal Cell Balancing Circuit – StarkPower batteries have a micro-processor controlled internal cell balancing board in each of its batteries designed to maximize the performance of each cell in the batteries.
- System (BMS) – StarkPower lithium-ion smart batteries contain a solid state switch that controls temperature volatility. This switch prevents overcharging and discharging, improving the overall lifespan performance and safety of the batteries.
- Quality Engineering – StarkPower’s innovation laboratory prides itself on the design and construction of its batteries utilizing the highest quality components in all phases of design and construction. The StarkPower built-in intelligent components guarantee the safety and quality of each StarkPower product.
- Prismatic Cells – Cylindrical cells only come in certain sizes which limits the possible shapes and sizes of the starter battery case designs. As such, batteries fit for many vehicles may be poor, or impossible as they are too wide or too tall and create internal hot spots. StarkPower prismatic cells on the other hand, are rectangular packages which can be freely designed and sized according to the size requirements of the battery case. As such, StarkPower offers perfect drop-in fit in most vehicles along with having better thermal management properties.
StarkPower lithium-ion batteries have 1/3 the internal resistance of a similar capacity lead-acid battery and they can be safely discharged to 90% DOD. Lead-acid internal resistance rises as they are discharged; the actual capacity which can be used may be as little as 20% of the mfg. rating. Discharging in excess will damage the lead-acid battery. StarkPower’s lithium-ion batteries hold a higher voltage during discharge.
StarkPower’s lithium-ion battery chargers have been designed to work together with the internal cell balancing board and BMS in the “Deep Cycle” batteries that have special algorithms to prevent over-charge and maximize life of the battery. We have a very simply approach where all the cell balancing maintenance is done automatically when the charger is attached. NO expensive, complicated charger/tender is needed.
StarkPower does NOTrecommend using lead-acid chargers for (LiFePO4) batteries. Lead-acid batteries charge at 2.30V to 2.45V per cell whereas (LiFePO4) batteries require 3.60V per cell. Your battery would potentially be undercharged, so you will not get use of the full capacity of the (LiFePO4) battery, nor will balancing be triggered in the (LiFePO4) battery pack, both of which are not desired. Furthermore, the floating charge of the lead-acid charger is not expected by the battery and can cause problems. Lead-acid trickle chargers should NOT be used. Use StarkPower’s charger.